John Piper always breaks it down on issues of Racial Harmony.
We have the urgent burden of teaching our children in such a way to prevent the heavy sin of racism. This particular topic is practical for parents like me living in the South. I have included below the eight points of Piper’s talk. I encourage you to read or download the entire sermon here.
8 Ways to Help the Children Love Different People
1. Help the children believe in God’s sovereign wisdom and goodness in creating them with the body that they have.
2. Help the children believe in God’s sovereign wisdom and goodness in making other people with the body that they have.
3. Help the children believe that they and all other children and adults are made in God’s image.
4. Teach the children that God tells us to do to others as we would like others to do to us.
5. Teach the children and model for them that their own sin is uglier than anybody they think is physically unattractive.
6. Teach the children that God loves them in spite of the ugliness of their sin and that he proved this by sending his Son to die for our sins and give forgiveness to all who would trust him.
7. Teach the children that because Jesus died for them and rose again, he becomes for them an all-satisfying Friend and Treasure.
8. Teach the children to love others who are different from them, not in order to be accepted by God, but because they already are accepted by God because of Jesus.